1. Hello Guest!

Thank you for visiting the ClubRunner Community website, you can login using your ClubRunner account information by clicking the login link on the top of every page.
    Dismiss Notice

Committees Module and Org Chart - Ability to associate Custom email address to a Position

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Mark WILLIAMS on Jul 21, 2021.

1. Mark WILLIAMS

By:Mark WILLIAMSJul 21, 2021
    Active Community Member

Engineer
    I'm going to have to back up a little to Explain this.

One of the big problems in any system like this is one of identity. What is the unique identifier of a person? Many systems have taken the easy way out and decided that an email address is the identifier. There are many reasons why email addresses are bad identifiers (not all email addresses identify a person, email addresses get changed, cutting people off from assets they are entitled to access, etc etc.)

I applaud Clubrunner for trying to dissociate email address from identity, but given that we are in the Rotary world where the email address is the my.rotary account (but not person) identifier, the activation method for clubrunner logins, etc. We still have a situation where the primary email address is a personal identifier.

But in this day and age it is no longer acceptable to be publishing lists of people's private email addresses. To this end, in our printed version of the district directory we no longer publish people's email addresses. instead, where people hold a position which requires them to be contactable, we provide a district alias. e.g. dg@rotary9620.org and publish that. This alias will redirect to their primary clubrunner email by default, but it can also be configured to go to a distribution list, a special email they have set up for the business of that position, or even another alias (e.g. president.brisbane@rotary9620.org -> president@rotarybrisbane.org.au -> me.)

This is all fine and good, but now the bane of my life is that people are changing their Primary emails in Clubrunner to position-based emails, either to get the mail to go into a rotary-work mailbox or to hide their private identity from the district Rotarians. I know it doesn't take a lot of thinking to see that this is a bad idea, but it is what it is, and it happens. July 1 can be a bit of a nightmare.

There are strategies I am using to try to discourage this (e.g. if you want the district e-bulletin to go to your Rotary position mailbox address, then unsubscribe yourself and subscribe that mailbox) but there is something that Clubrunner could do which would be a huge help, and would also promote privacy for people that want it. It is a fact of life now that your private email address forms part of your identity and people have a right to not have it exposed, even to other Rotarians.

When one creates an org chart entry or makes someone a member/chair/admin of a committee, there is an option to enter an email address that pertains to this position and is not that Rotarian's primary email address.

Zach and Les Walsh like this.