1. Hello Guest!

Thank you for visiting the ClubRunner Community website, you can login using your ClubRunner account information by clicking the login link on the top of every page.
    Dismiss Notice

E-Voting Module?

Discussion in 'COVID-19 Support & Resources' started by Bob Spencer on Mar 11, 2020.

1. Bob Spencer

By:Bob SpencerMar 11, 2020
    Community Member

So many of our clubs will do a voting by email for an urgent decision between formal meetings. However collecting that data is sometimes frustrating and inaccurate. I thought that ClubRunner would be the perfect platform to provide a voting module so that clubs could request a vote on a topic, and the votes could be recorded an tallied accurately, rather than by manual observation of e-mail responses. This could either be integrated into the E-mail/Communication Module, or can be a new standalone

I propose it have the following options to create a vote
    Motion: Text Field
    Parties Voting (You can use the e-mail group modules so custom distribution groups can be selected)
    Deadline: Indicating if its a timely vote when you need votes in by, and all non-responses after that date would be an abstention
    Comment/Discussion Argument: the support statement of the person proposing the vote

The Voting party would get an email where they could click a link to vote
    Voting Options: Yay / Nay / Abstain / Discuss Only
    Also a discussion field where the members can type comments and it would be added onto a feed of the comments/discussions posted by others.

A reminder email could also go out to all voters 24 hours before the deadline.

I'd appreciate thoughts of the community and CR as if this is feasible

De Wayne Dela Guerra likes this.
  2. Les Walsh

By:Les WalshMar 11, 2020
    Active Community Member
    Beta Tester

A great idea!

3. Mickey

By:MickeyMar 11, 2020
    ClubRunner Team

Hello Bob and Les,

Thank you for posting. CR of course doesn't have an official voting application, however I'd like to offer a workaround that may provide the functionality you need.

Some clubs have started to use Event Planner (EVP) for these activities. Here is why:

1. You create a 'Vote' (i.e. event) in EVP. Email the Vote/Event 'invitation' to all your members.
    2. In place of 'Yay' or 'Nay' it can be 'Accept' invitation or 'Decline' invitation (for example).
    3. You can turn registration 'comments' on so now users can 'write in their vote' in the comments section when they register.
    4. Because this is a registration system, you'll be able to see who hasn't participated as they will be 'unregistered'.
    5. In the EVP email system you can schedule an email reminder 24 hours before end of registration, something like "Hi everyone don't forget to vote etc.".
    6. You don't have to post this 'event' anywhere publicly on the website, in other words, it will be an unlisted/private voting 'event'.

While not a perfect analogue to a voting system, it may offer the options you need. Feel free to setup an event and send 'voting' invites only to your board members as a trial run.

If you have more questions please post again.

4. John Borst

By:John BorstMar 24, 2020
    Active Community Member
    Beta Tester

Retired Education Administration and Teacher
    One of the features that I appreciate in ClubRunner is the many possibilities it offers for creating "work-around" solutions. Great option.

5. Michele Monti

By:Michele MontiApr 14, 2020
    New Community Member

Attività Libere e Professioni
    Election of next President, or Board members: in our case the vote has to be entirely anonymous, so I suspect that would not work...

6. Mickey

By:MickeyApr 14, 2020
    ClubRunner Team

Hi Michele,

While not a ClubRunner option, you may wish to explore using Google Forms, it's free:
    https://www.google.ca/forms/about/

You could email a link to the Google (election) form only to the relevant people. I believe only the Google form administrator has access to view all the respondent's identities. There might be an option to not even ask for their identity?

If you have more questions don't hesitate to post again.

7. John Borst

By:John BorstApr 14, 2020
    Active Community Member
    Beta Tester

Retired Education Administration and Teacher
    There are commercial products available. Our town has its municipal election electronically and it works smoothly.

8. De Wayne Dela Guerra

By:De Wayne Dela GuerraMay 9, 2020
    New Community Member

Nurse Executive & Case Manager
    Los Angeles , CA, United States of America
    I agree with an e-mail electric voting process.

9. Carl Dierschow

By:Carl DierschowAug 21, 2020
    Community Member

We did our election using a form I put together on Wufoo, since I happen to have a Wufoo account. We kept it anonymous. Behind the scenes, I monitored what IP addresses the votes were coming from and there was no abuse indicated - we only have a few members who live together and might have been using the same IP address.

It's nice that Rotarians tend to be honest!

Don Moore likes this.
  10. Cheryl Winger

By:Cheryl WingerAug 22, 2020
    New Community Member

We've simply been asking for the Nays and abstainers in the online meeting. It seems to work just fine. In a regular meeting, we would have simply counted hands so anonymity isn't an issue.