1. Hello Guest!

Thank you for visiting the ClubRunner Community website, you can login using your ClubRunner account information by clicking the login link on the top of every page.
    Dismiss Notice

Question of best approach

Discussion in 'Website Customization' started by ClarkNK on Jan 17, 2022.

1. ClarkNK

By:ClarkNKJan 17, 2022
    Community Member

Retired
    Canandaigua, NY, United States of America
    We have a carousel set up on our home page which is working ok.

What I want to consider next is this: What is the best approach to producing a page on the site that would basically access a bunch of event pictures we have uploaded? Each event picture would be a photo with a caption below explaining the photo.

I want to create a menu item something like "Our club in action" (I know how to do this) that links to the page where users can easily move from amongst the pictures of the club activities. So the question is what should be on that page and what is the best way to set it up? Hopefully it can be done in some way that we can easily upload new photos to some place (maybe an album?) and those photos will become part of the group that is readily available to site visitors on that page.

I want it to be easy for our photographer to upload a photo, add a caption, and have it become part of the group of photos.

Maybe there is already some widget designed for such a purpose?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. John Borst

By:John BorstJan 17, 2022
    Well-Known Community Member
    Beta Tester

Retired Education Administration and Teacher
    Clark Kurtz, I suspect what you are looking for is a dynamic carousel but then you already have one on your draft home page with a caption on it. You could also create a custom page called Our Club in Action and put a carousel or photo album or series of albums on that page. You will likely have to teach your photographer to enter pictures and caption them.

On another note, I see you are in the process of setting up a ClubRunner site (Rotary Club of Canandaigua) which I do not believe has been released yet as your old Club Wizard site ( Canandaiguarotary.org )still dominates Google search. Since you are still in the development stage I would plead with you to get rid of the outdated Rotary GIF logo on the ClubRunner banner. Rotary International changed its official Mark of Excellence 8 years ago, As the person responsible for image and branding, regardless of where some members of your club stand on this issue, it is time to exert your leadership on behalf of RI.

3. ClarkNK

By:ClarkNKJan 17, 2022
    Community Member

Retired
    Canandaigua, NY, United States of America
    Thank you for the reply John. Yes we already have the carousel on the home page and a photo album link (it's currently in the News menu item) in the Navigation menu. If we wind up sticking with the photo album, I will change the menu link to it to say "Our Club in Action". We have to fiddle some more with that page, for example, i don't want the "Uploaded Site Images" album and the "Sample Albums" showing. Haven't gotten to looking how to not show those.

We are keeping our domain pointed to the ClubWizard site until we are satisfied with the ClubRunner site and have trained our newsletter editors and others how to do their jobs with the Clubrunner site. When we are ready we will point the domain to Clubrunner.

As for the logo -- that Rotary wheel never was exactly the RI logo -- I grabbed that from the Library of Rotary Graphics years ago. As you probably know, the Library of Rotary Graphics makes dressed-up versions of Rotary graphics that look fancier than the official versions. I then took that dressed-up Rotary wheel, combined it with a second one, and then created the motion of the intersecting revolving cogs. We have always had that on our website, sort of our club's "signature" Rotary logo. I like to think of it as representing Rotarians working closely together. So I will pass on your suggestion of losing that logo.

But I do like to ask people this observational question: When you looked at that logo and saw the rotating intersecting cogs of the rotary wheels, did you notice that the wheel spokes remain stationary?

4. John Borst

By:John BorstJan 18, 2022
    Well-Known Community Member
    Beta Tester

Retired Education Administration and Teacher
    Re: the Rotary Wheels, I can't say I really paid that much attention. I think I was vaguely aware that it was only the cogs moving. I understand what you mean by a club signature. I created one for the Dryden club and then when I trained a person to take over from me and then gave her the site to redesign. However, because she was more strict with respect to the Mark of Excellence guidelines she reverted to a more conformist club logo. So I do understand, how difficult it is to give up something you have created, however, I think in this case others in Rotary will be critical of your club when they see the use of the old mark.

Keep up the good work, I think you will like working with ClubRunner, they are a great team to work with.