1. Hello Guest!

Thank you for visiting the ClubRunner Community website, you can login using your ClubRunner account information by clicking the login link on the top of every page.
    Dismiss Notice

Using the Dynamic Carousel to Present Videos - so far it is a yes and a yes sort of!

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by John Borst on Jan 28, 2022.

1. John Borst

By:John BorstJan 28, 2022
    Well-Known Community Member
    Beta Tester

Retired Education Administration and Teacher
    Dynamic Carousels were meant for pictures. My new club, The Rotary Club of Kingston, Ontario has in 2021-22 purchased the ClubRunner platform. At the same time, the club has begun to create a series of member's "classification" talks. My former club used the term "vocational" talk.

These were done in the form of an interview using Zoom. They are recorded and placed on the club's YouTube Channel. To date, four such interviews have been posted plus an introduction to the series which is titled "Rotarians in Focus". Effectively, the Club has created a Video Log or Vlog for short.

As I thought about how to present this on the Home page of the website, my mind considered the use of a dynamic carousel. I knew that I could place a link in a picture in a carousel. If I made a picture of the title page of each video and then placed the words "click here" in the description editor and then tied the YouTube link to the words a visitor could link through to the video in a new window. I did two examples and it worked.

Then I noticed that the description editor also permitted you to embed a video's code. At that point I wondered could the video image "iFrame" appear on top of a picture and be active. So I tried it.

To insert the picture I used a PNG image with almost nothing on it. Actually, it does have a small rotary logo in the bottom right corner for use in creating videos. When I published it, it worked and you could watch it on the home page of the site without going to YouTube. You could also click on the expand button and view it in full-screen mode.

There was a problem, however. The video was not centred in the PNG photo as the top quarter was missing. To centre it on a desktop/laptop I then downsized the video "iFrame" from its standard 560x315 pixels to 444x250 pixels with the result that all of each title screen appeared on the desktop computer screen. I was overjoyed.

Unfortunately, the same was not true for a tablet screen or a mobile phone screen. They still cut off the top part of the video screen. Clicking on them to activate the video did however work. So far I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the "iFrame" location so that the full image appears on a tablet or mobile phone.

Can you suggest how it might be done?

2. John Borst

By:John BorstJan 28, 2022
    Beta Tester

I just discovered another glitch. On the desktop/laptop, if I expand the site to the full screen the video image appears as it does on the tablet and mobile phone. I suspect I may have to revert to my original workaround.

3. John Borst

By:John BorstJan 29, 2022
    Beta Tester

Further update: Maybe the glitch isn't as bad as I thought. What I have now discovered is that the video image is full size if I turn a mobile phone on its side and if I turn a tablet to the vertical. In the meantime, I have also placed the whole series using the "Click Here" format on the site. Please review and let me know which format I should leave up or maybe it should be both. In the end both work, Each has advantages and disadvantages, the fact remains, however, that putting videos onto a carousel is possible.