1. Hello Guest!

Thank you for visiting the ClubRunner Community website, you can login using your ClubRunner account information by clicking the login link on the top of every page.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing the all-new Donations module (Beta)

Discussion in 'General' started by Divya on Jul 10, 2020.

1. Divya

By:DivyaJul 10, 2020
    ClubRunner Team

A popular feature request and needed now more than ever, we’re introducing an easy way for your club to collect donations on your website. Introducing our new Donations module in beta.

Currently integrated with Sage/Paya and Bambora, you can set up amount options or allow donors to enter their own free-form amount. Customize the Thank You email that goes out, and view all up-to-date donations on a built-in report right within ClubRunner, and even export to Excel.

[​IMG]

How do we get started?

For clubs in the US and Canada that already have Sage or Bambora as their payment provider, get started in a few simple steps:
    • Go to the donations page and click on Setup
    • Enter in your preferred amounts and add your page description, and thank you messages
    • Select from the built-in thank you email or personalize and create your own
    • Link your donation page on your website and begin promoting!

We’ll soon be adding support for international clubs to be able to use this feature but in the meantime, we encourage you to learn how you can use our premier form builder, MyEventRunner to also collect donations.

Beth Dannheim likes this.
  2. Germaine Mitchell

By:Germaine MitchellJul 11, 2020
    New Community Member

NonProfit Fundraiser
    Greetings,

Santa Fe Rotary Del Sur currently do not have a donation section on our webpage. I do we set this up?
    Thanks,
    G

3. Desirée Wilson

By:Desirée WilsonJul 11, 2020
    New Community Member

Your statement above says "For clubs in the US and Canada that already have Sage or Bambora as their payment provider, get started in a few simple steps". What if our club does not use either of these as a payment provider?

4. Ken Cooper

By:Ken CooperJul 12, 2020
    New Community Member

Retired
    This is a start. I agree with Disiree, need to be able to have donation page for any payment provider. When you get this ability, we will be much more impressed and interested.

Sage is expensive if there is not a lot of donation activity or payments are concentrated by quarter.

As a large club (22nd in world) with over 300 members, we don't use club runner for dues invoicing. While it is nice to be connected to the roster, it really doesn't add anything for us since we have to get dues transferred to our accounting system - so far, haven't been able to make the Quickbooks transfer work the way we need. We had to work with your support team to get the donate message fixed and for it to be copied to our club executive coordinator so that she would know what the donation was for because we have several funds.

Our Board of directors wants to have donators and members the option of paying the fees and that seems to be beyond the ability of the current pages. One hopes that the new page will allow for that calculation and for it to be shown with a check box to 'opt out'. Looking at the beta setup it doesn't appear that there is any way to do this. A bad oversight on your part for non profit organizations.

Our site has what is apparently a 'specialized' donations page that I can't get to. If I were to set up a donation page using your template, what would happen to the one already there?

Can you have more than one donations page?

BTW, your report doesn't "really" export to excel, it produces a 'csv' file that is importable into excel but is not excel. If I were to save that file and just open it, I would get a text file, not excel.

Could you generate a 'sample' report page and csv file so we can see the layout and format.

5. Mickey

By:MickeyJul 17, 2020
    ClubRunner Team

Hello Germaine, Desirée and Ken,

Thank you all for responding.

Germaine - please see our Help section so that you can setup the donations module for your club here:
    https://www.clubrunnersupport.com/section/838-donations

Germaine I double checked, you don't have a high enough access level to perform these setup steps, please speak to your club execs so either they can do it, or, they upgrade your access level for you.

Desirée - at this time our donations module only works with Sage or Bambora, if your club does not have either of those options setup, the donations module will not work. Please see more below.

Ken - thank you for your valuable feedback. We'll consider upgrading our module to allow the donator to have the option of paying the donation fees.

Note that our team saw a distinct need from clubs to have this donations module during the COVID-19 crisis and worked as quickly as possible to implement a solution that would suit many clubs. We do understand this solution will not suit everyone, however our goal was timeliness and ease of use. Our next phase is to broaden and upgrade this module.

At this time some of those upgrades include the ability to have multiple donation campaigns (i.e. more than one donations page), though this is still being developed. We are also planning to integrate more payment gateways.

Please also note - with the several versions of MS Excel (as well as Libre Office and Open Office) we use at the office for testing (on both Mac and PC), the CSV format is understood in all versions when opening the file. Ken, if you are using a recent version of MS Office (2013 and on), try "File" > "Import" as opposed to "File" > "Open" in Excel. Though on the versions of Excel I have "File" > "Open" works for me, "Import" should work for you Ken.

Ken if you're still having issues with the report let us know. And, if anyone else has more questions feel free to post again.

6. Ken Cooper

By:Ken CooperJul 17, 2020
    New Community Member

Retired
    Thanks for getting back to us.

I understand csv files. My only point is that a csv file is not a native excel file, not that it can't be imported. I am happy to hear that you test the file for 'importability'. I have spent hours working with many csv files that needed extensive rework before they imported correctly.

Looking at your photo I was undoubtedly using computers many years before you were born. At last count it was roughly 55 years ago that I first saw a 'computer' and had a career using using and writing technical software for them. :>))

I don't have a report to see since I am not using the new module and have no way to generate a sample. What I am hoping for is that you generate a fictitious report and do a screen shot as well as attach the csv file that results from its export. You only need a few entries.

The idea is so that I can judge whether the new module would be better or worse than what we are doing now as I am not likely to just start using the module blindly.

7. Mickey

By:MickeyJul 22, 2020
    ClubRunner Team

Hi Ken,

Apologies for the delayed response.

Click here for a sample CSV report for your review. It's some small sample data - all info is fake.

This report was exported directly out of the CR donations module and was not edited. Note there isn't that much info in this report. This is because CR doesn't have high enough security levels to be able to store credit card transaction info, therefore we provide a quick summary. The "Transaction ID" column is a way for you to reference that transaction in Sage or Bambora without referencing a credit card number.

More detailed transaction info would be found by looking up the transaction in your Sage or Bambora account.

If you have more questions please post again.

8. Ken Cooper

By:Ken CooperJul 23, 2020
    New Community Member

Retired
    Thanks Mickey,

Looked at the file you posted. Looks a lot like the one we can now get from the virtual terminal in Sage. It is not helpful at all because it doesn't have anywhere to tell to what the donation should be applied.

As I mentioned before, we have several different funds that people can donate to so it is necessary for the page to not only have the ability to select one of several funds but for the reporting to include what the donation was for, not just who did it and how much.

I will 'hang in there' to see what kinds of updates you make to this module. Right now it is not worth trying to change and would go backwards from where we are now.

9. Mickey

By:MickeyJul 23, 2020
    ClubRunner Team

Hello Ken,

Just you know - our team is discussing 'donation campaigns' (this name could be changed) for future updates to the donations module. This will allow you to manage separate donation groupings. But I am unable to provide any guarantees or timelines for this.

Feel free to post again with more questions.